An electrician and his subbie faced court over slapdash work on a switchboard upgrade for a solar installation. Mains voltage was put on the home's earthing system, causing all taps, sinks and earthed appliances to be at full voltage of 240V. The home owner suffered a serious electrical shock from his garden tap, but despite reporting the shock to the electricians, neither returned to fix the fault.
One of the electricians was reprimanded and fined $8,000. The other was disqualified from being licensed until he completes retraining and the Commissioner considers him fit and proper to be licensed.
This incident should serve as a warning to other tradespeople to not cut corners and to take adequate remedial action quickly.