Receive this email as a forward? Sign up to get it at domainnamewire.com/newsletter.
Happy New Year!
The domain name industry finished 2019 with a bang, and it's off to the races in this new decade. What will be in store? Listen to the 2020 Predictions Podcast for forecasts from 15 different people.
Over the holiday break, I published analyses of some of the top stories in the domain name business last year.
Of course, the big news was a private equity company announcing plans to acquire .org after ICANN lifted all price caps.
Other top stories include Alpnames shutting down and a record-smashing domain sale. On the lighter side, a lot of dead people got domain names in 2019.
I also have a couple of announcements.
First, Kassey Lee has been covering the Chinese angle on domain names for Domain Name Wire for about a month now. It seems that people like his stories; 2 were among the top five in December! China can be mystifying to people like me, so it's great to have Kassey breaking down why specific domain names are worth more than you think. He's also analyzing the market for certain TLDs in China and much more. You can read all of his stories here.
Second, I'd like to give a shoutout to our new newsletter sponsor, DAN.COM. Thank them for supporting this newsletter by checking out their services.
OK, scroll down to see last month's top stories and podcasts!
Best wishes from the DAN.COM team!
We look forward to another record breaking year in 2020! Not a DAN seller yet? Sign-up now!
Here are the top stories on DNW last month, as ranked by pageviews:
1. A four character domain for $16,500? Here’s why - Kassey Lee breaks down why 23ZW has meaning to this Chinese company.
2. Namecheap adds cool new feature to domain search - It could help domain name investors.
3. This elite startup uses a long numeric domain - Another story about a Chinese company's domain name was popular this month.
4. This is how thieves trick customers into wiring money to them - Thieves use typo domain names to trick people into wiring money that is due to another party.
5. A fractional domain ownership idea - Aron Meystedt offered shares in his domain NNR.com. Expect more fractional domain ownership opportunities in 2020.
2020 Predictions episode - hear predictions about the domain industry from 15 people.
Sending out the Bat-signal - Learn how to get someone's attention to do a domain deal.
Last year's predictions - Listen to the 2019 predictions episode to see who was right and who was wrong. One of my predictions just came true: Verisign will pay ICANN as part of a deal to raise prices on .com domains.
Doron Vermaat - The Efty co-founder talks about domain sales trends and landing pages.
Get the Latest
Don't wait for this newsletter to get the latest domain name, online advertising and marketing services news. Check in to DNW daily, and join the 35k people who follow DNW on Twitter.
Thanks for reading,