NEWS THIS WEEK
Much of this information was sent to our Members first last week. If you would like to be the first to know breaking news as it comes, consider becoming a Member today!
1. The next wave of Federal COVID-19 Relief is being negotiated now.
We have a summary of what''s been discussed here. Recognize that NOTHING is final and is subject to change. Biggest take away #1: "Second round of PPP loans for businesses could happen and would be restricted to businesses under 300 workers or within the SBA size threshold for their industry that can demonstrate 50 percent lost revenue compared with a reference period." There are other important details, and yes I am talking to our federal delegation every day about what our industry needs in this bill. Biggest take away #2: a lot more money for education could happen.
2. The House has passed a FY 2021 package with increases to the NEA and NEH
This afternoon, the U.S. House of Representatives passed a fiscal year 2021 package of appropriations bills by a vote of 224-189. Included in the package was an increase in funding for the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities of $7.5 million each, which would raise each agency’s funding level to $170 million. With the House having passed the bill, attention now turns to the Senate, which hopes to release a draft proposal for the agencies before adjourning in early August for a summer recess.
3. The New 4.8 COVID-19 Re-opening guidelines are available now
Our re-opening page is now updated to include key points from the new 4.8 guidelines. Find out more here!
4. GOED''s "Shop in Utah" Grant is now open
Money is first come, first served so apply now! For-profits and nonprofits can apply (but not if you received funds from Create in Utah).
5. The Main Street Nonprofit Loan Program is open now
The Federal Reserve Main Street Loan is now open to Nonprofits. Though the terms of the loan are not the best, it is still an option for nonprofits with at least 10 employees.
6. The "Safe in UT" PPE Grant is now accepting applications
The "Safe in UT" grant can be used to cover PPE-related expenses and is now open and closes August 31st or when funds are exhausted// Application & Info.
7. Utah County''s CARES Act Grants open now
Utah County''s CARES Act Grants program for businesses opens August 3rd. Details are here although we are still working with the county commission so that the program is able to be more fully utilized by our members. So, could be subject to change.
8. The "Create in Utah" Grant deadline is extended!
The Create in Utah grant deadline has been extended to August 7th. This grant is targeted for programs that boost tourism and help local economies recover, a.k.a. cultural organizations!
9. Other regional grants now available
More regional grants are here. And yes, I''m working with more communities to offer
10. WESTAF Regional Arts Resilience Fund still accepting nominations
Don''t forget about the WESTAF grant! The deadline for nominations is July 31st at 5pm.
11. Preliminary Results of Performing Arts Aerosol Study Begins to Find Hope
for Music Activities in the Future Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
In May, the NFHS, CBDNA and a coalition of over 125 performing arts organizations commissioned a study on aerosol rates produced by activities in music, speech, debate and theatre. Over the last month, researchers at the University of Colorado-Boulder and the University of Maryland have been hard at work gathering preliminary results.
- Preliminary results for woodwinds and brass were received July 10th – click here for access to the main coalition page that has an updated PDF presentation with preliminary results and general considerations.
- For additional NFHS Performing Arts COVID-19 Resources, visit: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/performing-arts-covid-19-resources/
12. The Utah Office of Tourism Needs Your Response
The Utah Office of Tourism is looking to learn more about how travelers perceive and experience the state. Your input will help the office make adjustments and improvements across a variety of initiatives. Please take a few minutes to fill out this brief survey.
13. Your Response is Needed for our Career Development and Webinar Survey!
currently planning out the next 12 months of programming and events. We want to hear from you about what topics and formats you would like to see. This survey should take 3-5 minutes to complete and will close on July 30. You can access the survey here if you have not already filled it out. Thank you for your support and involvement in this work!
14. Sign up as an Artist or Partner today for Artists Sunday!
For this year''s Artists Sunday, sign up to be an artist or partner or just get more information here.